Sep 28, 2015
from 09:30 AM to 12:30 PM
|Where||Postdoc Centre, Eastwood Room|
|Contact Name||Joy Warde|
|Add event to calendar||
The PdOC Society and Personal and Professional Development (PPD) are pleased to offer the masterclass:
Developing Myself as a Leader
- a postdoc masterclass in leadership skills
In this masterclass you will work in small groups to explore the qualities of an effective leader. The objective is to create a practical plan to develop a leadership attribute or skill of your choosing. The training focuses on core transferable leadership skills, which are equally relevant to a continued academic career and careers in industry, social enterprise or public sector. You will be introduced to research from the Center for Creative Leadership; a basic coaching model and a format to effectively communicate your leadership skills. During the session will draw on your existing skills as a leader and your experience of being led. You will discuss your expectations of good leadership; explore your opportunities to lead and clarify your existing skills set.
The core knowledge:
- qualities of an effective leader
- leadership challenges of the first time manager
- your existing strengths and weaknesses as a leader
- understand the core skills for the early career leader
- a coaching model for skills development
- a formal to effectively communicate your leadership skills
What can you expect?
- to create a practical plan to develop a leadership attribute of skill of your choosing
- to work in small groups
- to draw on your existing skills as a leader and our experience of being led
What is the biggest benefit?
This is a personal exploration of your skills and where you want to take them.
The focus is on core transferable leadership skills, which are equally relevant to a continued academic career and careers in industry, social enterprise or public sector.
This masterclass is open to all postdocs working in the University, Colleges or University Partner Institutes.